clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Friday Round-Up: Champions League Fever Hits

If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.

Celtic FC v FK Astana - UEFA Champions League Qualifying Play-Offs Round: First Leg
Kieran Tierney - looking forward to the Champions League as much as the rest of us are
Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

THE BIG STORY: Everyone at Celtic Park seems very excited after yesterday’s Champions League Group Stages draw, which paired Celtic with Bayern Munich, PSG and Anderlecht. Assistant manager Chris Davies claims that Celtic aren’t ‘scared’ of undoubted group favourites Bayern and PSG, Olivier Ntcham is looking forward to the prospect of facing his countrymen PSG and Kieran Tierney is ‘hopeful’ that Celtic are able to compete in the Group Stages, pointing to our two draws with Manchester City last season as evidence that we can.

The site’s opinion is that the draw gives Celtic a good chance of achieving Brendan Rodgers’ aim of European football after Christmas, you can read our thoughts in greater detail here, whilst the Bhoys at GIGPOD recorded their latest episode live as the draw was talking place and you can to the podcast here.

OTHER NEWS: The race is now on to make signings before Thursday’s transfer window deadline, and according to Peter Lawwell the Rivaldo Coetzee deal is ‘done’ and talks are ‘progressing’ over Patrick Roberts’ return.

Kieran Tierney certainly hopes that his mate Roberts returns to play a role in the Champions League. Meanwhile, Spartak Moscow have been linked with a £10 million bid for Jozo Simunovic, as rumours continue about the defender - who really cannot sell at this moment in time - and his future at Celtic. Celtic return to league action against St Johnstone and hopefully in today’s pre-match press conference Brendan Rodgers will update us on any transfer news.

ON THIS DAY: In 2001, Celtic romped to a 4-1 victory over Hibs at Easter Road, highlights including Celtic scoring our first two goals only forty seconds apart and a thunderbolt of a freekick by Lubo Moravcik that put Celtic 1-0 up.