clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Celts To The Four: A Dundee-Celtic Match Report

James Forrest celebrates his first goal tonight


Celtic cruised into tomorrow night’s Betfred Cup semi-final draw after a 4-0 win over Dundee at Dens Park, with the in-form James Forrest continuing his fine start to the season.

As expected Dedryck Boyata made his return to the Celtic side after three months, and he played alongside Bitton at the back. Tierney, Ntcham, Roberts and Sinclair all started after missing out at the weekend but Moussa Dembele was left out of the squad completely,

A very early chance fell to Olivier Ntcham, but Bain managed to get his fingers to the shot, whilst Dundee came close with a Wolters shot which was deflected out for a corner. The game then degenerated into a series of ‘agricultural’ challenges from Dundee players as Celtic struggles to create any real chances.

Thankfully the opening goal arrived in the 25th minute, Scott Sinclair embarking on a mazy run and after beating three players he was brought down by Hendry in the penalty box. Sinclair took the penalty himself and placed the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Not long after this Dundee had their best chance of the game, El-Bakhtaoui finding himself completely unmarked in the penalty box but thankfully he was unable to get a touch on the cross and Celtic were off the hook.

We made Dundee pay for that miss in the 42nd minute, James Forrest getting onto the end of a nice Kieran Tierney cut back to stretch and put the ball out of Bain’s reach.

The second was a bit of a non-event for large stages, as Celtic were content to keep possession and Dundee didn’t threaten much at all. A deflected Leigh Griffiths shot was well saved by Bain, who also did well to stop a close range Forrest effort as it looked like the game was drifting to an end.

Thankfully substitute Callum McGregor had other ideas, in the 88th minute getting onto the end of a Sinclair pass to drill a shot into the net after a counter attack.

Two minutes later it was 4-0, James Forrest helping himself to his second brace in two games with a shot from just outside the box into the bottom corner of the net.

After the game, Brendan Rodgers was delighted with Celtic’s display, particularly the professionalism of the performance.

He will also be happy with Dedryck Boyata getting an hour’s play, Scott Brown controlling the midfield, and James Forrest turning in another great performance, it seems certain that he will start against Rangers on Saturday, on from he really should. The campaign to defend the treble is well up and running, next stop Ibrox...