clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:


see the goals here

Hearts v Celtic - Ladbrokes Scottish Premiership Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

Saturday April 8th: Scottish Premiership; Celtic 3 (Armstrong 22, Sinclair 71, Forrest 76) Kilmarnock 1 (Jones 65)

Celtic made it 32 league games unbeaten this season with a comfortable victory over a rather tedious Kilmarnock team.

Brendan Rodgers made four changes from the side which drew with Partick on Wednesday night, it had a much more familiar look with Brown, Tierney, Boyata, and Forrest all starting. Moussa Dembele was back and on the bench, as was Tom Rogic for the second game running.

The match started with Celtic having plenty of possession, as Killie kept nine men behind the ball, with Conor Sammon their only player in the Celtic half. Celtic's first chance went to Scott Sinclair, who put a shot just wide of the post after being played in by Patrick Roberts.

Scott Brown almost opened the scoring with a shot saved by Woodman before Celtic got the first goal of the game in the 22nd minute, and once again Stuart Armstrong got the goal, the ball breaking to him about thirty yards from goal and his shot took a very slight deflection and went into the net, for his fourteenth goal of the season (1-0).

Celtic were completely dominant for the rest of the first half but were unable to find a second goal, the closet efforts coming from McGregor, who was challenged when put through on goal, and Tierney whose dipping effort swerved just wide.

The second half began with Celtic still completely in control, the only real chance falling to SInclair, who had to stretch for a header and was unable to direct it home.

Kilmarnock, who had not been in the game at all, managed to get an equaliser with their first attempt on target in the 65th minute. The goal was extremely fortunate, as a Sammon shot broke to Jones and his shot took a massive deflection, giving Gordon no chance (1-1).

The Kille goal seemed to rouse Celtic out of their brief slumber, and we regained the lead six minutes later. An Armstrong free-kick was headed across by Boyata, Lustig managed to keep the ball in play and his cutback was finished with aplomb by Sinclair (2-1).

Celtic then made two changes, with Dembele and Rogic coming in, and Dembele made an instant impact as in the 76th minute his shot was deflected onto the post and Forrest was on hand to head in the rebound (3-1).

The game ended 3-1, and after the final whistle Brendan Rodgers and the players went on a brief lap of honour saluting the fans in our final home league game before the split. As for the performance today, it was a very easy win really, with Sinclair continuing his fine form, and having Dembele back was an added bonus. It will be interesting to see if Brendan Rodgers plays Tom Rogic from the start against Ross County next Sunday, as time is running out for him to make a claim to start in the Scottish Cup semi-final. To quote that well known philosopher Fred Durst - Celtic Keep On Rollin'.