clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

These Glory, Glory Days: A Rangers-Celtic Match Report

Rangers v Celtic - Ladbrokes Scottish Premiership
The players celebrate at the final whistle in front of the Celtic fans
Photo by Mark Runnacles/Getty Images

Saturday April 29th: Scottish Premiership; Rangers 1 (Miller 81') Celtic 5 (Sinclair (Pen) 7', Griffiths 18', McGregor 53', Boyata 66', Lustig 87')

Celtic recorded our biggest victory over third placed Rangers at Ibrox with an emphatic 5-1 victory, our second score of the season against that crap team.

As expected, Celtic made one change with Leigh Giffiths replacing the injured Moussa Dembele. Celtic started the game on the front foot, and were award a penalty when Beerman lunged in on Patrick Roberts in the Celtic box.

Scott Sinclair stepped up and put Celtic into the lead after only 7 minutes, for his fourth goal of the season against Rangers. A Rangers fan was caught on camera giving Sinclair racist abuse so hopefully he is dealt with by the powers that be at Ibrox. A Rangers fan also tried to attack Scott Brown an threw a battery at Leigh Griffiths on a day of shame for the Ibrox club.

Celtic continued to dominate and made it 2-0 after 18 minutes, as Griffiths took a pass from Armstrong and hammered the ball into the top corner from just inside the box.

Celtic really should have scored more goals in the first half, as Griffiths curled an effort against the bar, and Sinclair put the rebound wide, then Sinclair missed a great chance from inside the box, putting an effort wide when it seemed easier to score. Also of note: a fierce Simunovic tackle on Kenny Miller which lead to Griffith's effort against the bar. A tackle which defined Celtic's performance today.

Thankfully we atoned for those misses early in the second half, when Callum McGregor scored his second goal against Rangers in six days. He tried to play a pass, the ball eventually broke to Roberts and his pass set up McGregor who passed a shot through Tavernier's legs and into the back of the net. 3-0 after 53 minutes.

Celtic continued to attack, and the fourth goal arrived in the 66th minute, as Boyata headed home a Griffiths free kick. 4-0 to Celtic, the first time we've scored four goals at Ibrox since 1983.

Celtic slightly slackened off after this, and allowed Rangers to pull a goal back, as ex Celt Kenny Miller scored with a goal which was celebrated by the one hundred Rangers fans left in the stadium.

Thankfully Celtic were determined to put a more realistic look on the scoreline, and a fine solo goal by Mikael Lustig made it 5-1 in the 87th minute. The goal was followed by some over the top celebrations by the player.

The final whistle - after no injury time, oddly enough - brought scenes of great celebration, as Celtic's players and fans revelled in our biggest ever victory at Ibrox.

Credit has to be given to Brendan Rodgers and the players who made it 42 domestic games unbeaten. They wanted to prove a point today, and they did. Next stop - ending the league unbeaten and winning the treble. Can we do it? Well, you wouldn't put anything past this Celtic team.