clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Title Triumphs: The Games That Clinched The League

Number 3: Rangers 2 Celtic 2 May 6th 1967

Jimmy Johnstone turns away in celebration after making it 1-1

Our series looking at the games that clinched the title looks back to that glorious year of 1967

A fact often overlooked when examining the immortal season of 1966-67 is that Celtic clinched the title at the home of our greatest rivals, Rangers. Normally that would be perhaps the highlight of the season but such were the triumphs of this season it was a mere footnote.

By the time of this game, Celtic had already won the league cup (defeating Rangers 1-0 in the final), won the Scottish Cup (defeating Aberdeen 2-0 in the final) and reached the final of the European Cup, after a determined defensive display earned a goalless draw in Prague.

The European Cup Final against Inter was only nineteen days after this game at Ibrox, so it wasn't a surprise to see Inter manager Helenio Herrera at the game. Sean Connery was also at the game, back in the days when he supported Celtic.

The game was played in torrential conditions, and would be a tough task for Celtic, as we hadn't won at Ibrox for nine years. This was a good Rangers side too, who would also reach a European final this season, losing 1-0 to Bayern Munich in the Cup Winner's Cup. Celtic knew that they only needed a point to clinch the title, and despite the huge game against Inter looming on the horizon the players got stuck in.

Fun fact: this was the first of three games in which Rangers faced the Lisbon Lions and unsurprisingly they didn't win any of them, but they did take the lead in this game, with a very young Sandy Jardine giving them the lead after forty-one minutes with a fizzing shot into the top corner.

This Celtic team wouldn't be denied however, and equalised just a minute later. A scramble in the penalty box lead to a Bobby Lennox shot being deflected onto the post and Jimmy Johnstone was on hand to put the rebound into the empty net.

Jinky's second goal arrived in the 74th minute, and was perhaps the best goal of his entire career. He took the ball from a throw-in, went on a trademark run and smashed a shot into the top corner from thirty yards out. 2-1 to the Champions elect, and one of the highlights of Jimmy Johnstone's storied career.

In a SHOCKING turn of events, play had to stopped shortly after the goal as Rangers fans invaded the park and threw bottles on the park. Thankfully the stoppage was short and play continued on.

Rangers equalised seven minutes later, when Ronnie Simpson failed to hold a shot and Roger Hynd put the ball into the net. Despite some frantic action at either end, the game ended 2-2 and Celtic had achieved the point needed to make it two in a row.

Winning the treble for the first time ever at the home of your bitterest rivals, 'it can't get better than this' most Celtic fans would have thought as they left the stadium...only nineteen days later it would, but that's a story for another time.

Rangers 2 (Jardine 41, Hynd 81) Celtic 2 (Johnstone 42, 74)